[OT] Managing Google Groups headaches

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:27:42 EST 2013

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:13:03 AM UTC+5:30, Roy Smith wrote:
>  Michael Torrie  wrote:
> > I wish Google hadn't bought a lot of things.  Seems like they bye up a
> > lot of cool, nerd-centric apps and companies and then turned them into
> > apps that do less and do it poorly, but in a slick way that appeals to
> > the unwashed masses.  And add "social" to it.  Great for their bottom
> > line, but horrible for those of us that actually use things as tools.
> And this is surprising, why?

Something floating around here (was it Ben Finney's footer??) went
something like:

We must expect it; else we would be surprised

Put differently: One evidence of being awake (and not in dreamland) is
surprise

A directly related piece by Nicholas Carr
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/

Relevant at a deeper level is his "IT doesn't matter"
http://www.roughtype.com/?p=644

We software professionals cannot agree with this and keep our self-respect/sanity/identity. However its true; so denial remains the
only option.