[OT] Managing Google Groups headaches

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 20:17:51 EST 2013

On 12/02/2013 06:03 AM, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> I wish they'd never bought dejanews.

I wish Google hadn't bought a lot of things.  Seems like they bye up a
lot of cool, nerd-centric apps and companies and then turned them into
apps that do less and do it poorly, but in a slick way that appeals to
the unwashed masses.  And add "social" to it.  Great for their bottom
line, but horrible for those of us that actually use things as tools.

Besides the dejanews thing, another one is Google Voice.  Used to be a
great tool but now they are trying to integrate it with Google Hangouts,
reduce its functionality, reduce interoperability, and otherwise ruin
it.  I fear next year is the last year for Google Voice in any usable
form for me.  Might just have to bite the bullet and set up my own PBX
and pay for a voip provider and port my google voice number over to it.
 I'd hate to lose the number; I've used it since Grand Central times.

And Gmail is also becoming less useful to me.  I don't want to use
hangouts; xmpp and google talk worked just fine.  But alas that's
disappearing.

And the list goes on.