Managing Google Groups headaches

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 02:42:57 EST 2013

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:17:11 AM UTC+5:30, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 03Dec2013 17:39, rusi wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:10:05 AM UTC+5:30, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > > My first act on joining any mailing list is to download the entire
> > > archive into my local mail store. I have a script for this, for
> > > mailman at least.
> > and you happen to own >1 thingys that have general computing
> > functionality -- phones, laptops, desktops, etc -- do you sync
> > all your mailing-lists with all of them?

> No. I'm using a laptops my primary host, and it has the mailing
> lists (and all my email). It is usually on and fetches and files
> my email; it also forwards _specific_ stuff to a separate mail
> account accessed by my phone.

> I used to use a home server, but the remote access, while fairly
> transparent (script to "ssh then run mutt"), was irritating. And
> when I didn't have remote access, very very irritating.

> So I'm choosing the better environment with my email local to the laptop and
> a select copy of important things (work and friends) copied to an account for
> my phone.

> [...]
> > And inspite of all that it still sometimes happens that one has
> > to work on a 'machine' that is not one's own.  What then?

> Fingers crossed the important stuff gets to my phone. If urgent I
> can reply from that, and I'm somewhat up to date on what I care
> about. The phone also has (disabled) access to my primary mail spool
> for circumstances when the laptop is offline. When online, the
> laptop empties that spool ad forwards particulars. When offline, I
> can consult what's queuing up.

> > The unfortunate and inexorable conclusion is that when the
> > (wo)man <-> computer relation goes from 1-1 to 1-many, data and
> > functionality will move away from 'own-machine' to the cloud.
> > Will the data be subject to privacy-abuse and worse? Sure
> > Will the functionality be as good as something one can fine-tune
> > on one's own computer? heck no!

> I'm striving to resist that for now. Privacy. Security. Dependence
> on others' hardware and (not mine => wrong!) technical choices of
> software.

Thanks Cameron. I am not sure how to parse the last sentence but on the
whole thanks for a fair balanced and honest review.

I think I have similar sentiments, viz.  I am not one to gush about
the latest gizmodic blissiness, however whenever Ive resisted and been
a late adopter -- color monitor, laptop, cellphone, credit card etc
etc -- in the end Ive had to move with the time and not been
better-off for my earlier resistance.