reporting proxy porting problem

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Dec 2 09:42:52 EST 2013

On 28/11/2013 22:01, Terry Reedy wrote:

> All the transition guides I have seen recommend first updating 2.x code (and its
> tests) to work in 2.x with *all* classes being new-style classes. I presume one
> of the code checker programs will check this for you. To some extent, the
> upgrade can be done by changing one class at a time.

the intent is to produce a compatible code with aid of six.py like functions.

> Yes, this means abandoning support of 2.1 ;-). It also means giving up
> magical hacks that only work with old-style classes.
>
>> I find that I don't understand exactly how the original works so well,
>
> To me, not being comprehensible is not a good sign. I explain some of
> the behavior below.

The author has commented that he might have been drunk at time of writing :)

>> but here is a cut down version

..

thanks for the analysis, I think we came to the same broad conclusion. I think
this particular module may get lost in the wash. If it ever needs
re-implementing we can presumably rely on some more general approach as used in
the various remote object proxies like pyro or similar.
--
Robin Becker