status of regex modules

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 11:21:16 EST 2013

On 24/10/2013 22:47, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> The new module is now five years old.  PEP 429 Python 3.4 release
> schedule has it listed under "Other proposed large-scale changes" but I
> don't believe this is actually happening.  Lots of issues on the bug
> tracker have been closed as fixed in the new module, see issue 2636 for
> more data.  Some work is still being carried out on the old re module.
>
> So where do we stand?  Is the new module getting into Python 3.x, Python
> 4.y or what?  If no do all the old issues have to be reopened and
> applied to the re module?  Who has to make the final decision on all of
> this?
>
> Note that I've no direct interest as I rarely if ever use the little
> perishers, I just find this situation bizarre.

Anybody?

And FTR I'll break Armed Forces Rule No. 1 and volunteer my own
pitifully poor servies if I can help take this forward, as I think it's
daft having issues marked as fixed on the bug tracker but the fix not
being available in the standard library, only on pypi.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence