Python TUI that will work on DOS/Windows and Unix/Linux

James Harris james.harris.1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 04:12:31 EDT 2013

Am looking for a TUI (textual user interface) mechanism to allow a Python
program to create and update a display in text mode. For example, if a
command prompt was sized 80x25 it would be made up of 80 x 25 = 2000
characters. The Python program would need to be able to write to any of
those 2000 characters at any time though in practice the display would
normally be arranged by dividing it up into non-overlapping rectangular
regions.

I have seen that there are various libraries: urwid, newt, console, dialog
etc. But they seem to be either for Unix or for DOS, not for both. I am
looking for a library that will run under either.

Furthermore, some libraries are complex, providing widgets of all kinds. I
am looking for something much simpler and the lighter-weight it is the
better. At least at this stage I pretty much just want to divide the screen
up into panels.

Input from keyboard would be essential. Input from a mouse would be nice to
have.

Especially if you have had a similar requirement in the past but even if
not, is there any cross-platform system you would recommend?

James