semicolon at end of python's statements

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 28 20:35:55 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-29 04:48, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> I'm C++ programmer and unfortunately put semicolon at end of my
> statements in python.
>
> Quesion:
> What's really defferences between putting semicolon and don't put?

From a technical standpoint, nothing (see below).  From a "readability
on the part of other programmers" standpoint, it's bad practice.  So
if you're coding for yourself, do whichever makes you happy.  If you
want to interact with other Python developers and don't want to make
them grumpy, remove them.

-tkc

>>> def with_semis():
...     print 1;
...     print 2;
...     print 3;
>>> def without_semis():
...     print 1
...     print 2
...     print 3
>>> import dis
>>> dis.dis(with_semis)
  2           0 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
              3 PRINT_ITEM
              4 PRINT_NEWLINE

  3           5 LOAD_CONST               2 (2)
              8 PRINT_ITEM
              9 PRINT_NEWLINE

  4          10 LOAD_CONST               3 (3)
             13 PRINT_ITEM
             14 PRINT_NEWLINE
             15 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
             18 RETURN_VALUE
>>> dis.dis(without_semis)
  2           0 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
              3 PRINT_ITEM
              4 PRINT_NEWLINE

  3           5 LOAD_CONST               2 (2)
              8 PRINT_ITEM
              9 PRINT_NEWLINE

  4          10 LOAD_CONST               3 (3)
             13 PRINT_ITEM
             14 PRINT_NEWLINE
             15 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
             18 RETURN_VALUE