Interface and duck typing woes

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Aug 28 22:48:25 EDT 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:39:25 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> The novice thinks his primary job is to stop the program from crashing.
> The expert knows that a crash is just another way for things to go
> wrong, and one of the easiest to deal with.

"I find it amusing when novice programmers believe their main job is
preventing programs from crashing. ... More experienced programmers
realize that correct code is great, code that crashes could use
improvement, but incorrect code that doesn’t crash is a horrible
nightmare."

http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/09/an-old-article-i-wrote/

Anyone who hasn't already done so, you should read the whole article.
It's about static versus dynamic typing, testing, proving correctness,
and how they all fit in together.

--
Steven