New VPS Provider needed

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Aug 28 08:37:13 EDT 2013

Op 28-08-13 13:25, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:19:40 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> Guys, PLEASE stop baiting Nikos with snide remarks. It makes this a
>>> very unpleasant environment, and sets the tone of the community, badly.
>>
>> Why don't you tell Nikos he should stop baiting the list with off topic
>> requestsm like whether someone is willing to provide him free hosting?
>
> I quote:
>
>     1. I will pay for a full year upfront but it must be a low price
>     for the 1st year, because i have already paid them and cant get my
>     money back to use it to the new com opany.

You are quoting selectively.

> I get it. You don't like Nikos. I'm not suggesting you should. But
> misrepresenting him is Not Cool. He has offered to pay.

IMO you are misrepresenting by quoting selectively. This from earlier
in that same post:

| So, if someone want to help me out it would be nice if he could
| provide me with services free of charge for that time period, or at
| least at the end of they year.

That he offered to pay, doesn't contradict his primary request is for
services free of charge.

> Besides, Python-friendly web hosting is not off-topic. Plenty of people
> have asked for recommendations on hosting providers that support Python
> before.

He didn't ask for people experiences with various hosting providers. He
was asking people here to provide hosting services for him.

>> I also think you are over reacting. One thread where people come with
>> snide remarks doesn't turn the whole newsgroup/mailinglist into an
>> unpleasant environment.
>
> My wife often tells me it is a miracle that I don't forget my own name,
> but even my memory is not so bad as to forget just how unpleasant and
> hostile this list became a month or so ago when a whole bunch of people
> decided to drive Nikos away, and he decided to fight back.

This list didn't became unpleasand and hostile. The hostility was
contained to a few threads. It was easy enough to avoid the hostility
if that was important enough to you.

I also find your reporting on the facts misleading. People didn't just
decide to drive Nikos away. People were getting fed up with the ongoing
annoying behaviour of Nikos. It wasn't Nikos who decided to fight back,
it were the people who had enough of Nikos's inconsiderate behaviour
who decided to fight back.

--
Antoon Pardon