refresing the edited python function

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com.dmarc.invalid
Tue Aug 20 11:08:48 EDT 2013

alex23

> On 19/08/2013 10:55 AM, Sudheer Joseph wrote:
> > I have been using ipython and ipython with qtconsole and working on a
> > code with functions. Each time I make a modification in function
> > I have to quit IPTHON console (in both with and with out qt console )
> > and reload the function freshly. If I need to see the changed I made in
> > the function. I tried below options
>
> > del function name
> > import the module again  by issuing "from xxx.py import yy"
>
> This doesn't re-import the module if xxx has already been imported. It
> simply rebinds xxx.yy to yy.
>
> > import xxx.py
>
> This also doesn't re-import the module if it has already been imported.
>
> When you import a module, or a function from a module, a module object
> is created and stored in sys.modules. Any subsequent 'import <module>'
> calls will return a reference to that module object, and won't reload
> from file at all.
>
> You can easily verify this by creating a test module 'foo' with a single
> line of `print('loading foo')` and then trying this from the console:
>
>      In [1]: import foo
>
>      In [2]: del foo
>
>      In [3]: import foo
>
>      In [4]:
>
> Note that you only see 'loading foo' the first time you import the
> module. In order to have the module loaded again rather than returning
> the existing reference, you would use `reload(foo)`:
>
>      In [5]: reload(foo)
>
> So: in order to be able to use functions from a re-loaded module, you
> should always refer to them via the module object, and not import them
> directly:
>
>      >>> import xxx
>      >>> xxx.yy() # original code
>      # ...modify function `yy` in your source file
>      >>> reload(xxx)
>      >>> xxx.yy() # new code
>
> Or: you can reload the module and then rebind the functions:
>
>      >>> from xxx import yy
>      >>> yy() # original code
>      # ...modify function `yy` in your source file
>      >>> reload(xxx)
>      >>> from xxx import yy
>      >>> yy() # new code
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --

In Python 3 the reload built-in was moved to the imp module.
So use imp.reload(<module>) instead.

~Ramit

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.