.split() Qeustion

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Aug 16 00:29:39 EDT 2013

In article <520da6d1$0$30000$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:43:41 +0100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > A mole is as much a number (6e23) as the light year is a number
> > (9.5e15).
>
> Not quite. A mole (abbreviation: mol) is a name for a specific number,
> like couple (2) or dozen (12) or gross (144), only much bigger: 6.02e23.
> And I can't believe I still remember that value :-)

I remember it as 6.022e23 :-)

In my high school chemistry class, there was a wooden cube, about 1/2
meter on a side, sitting on the lecture desk in the front of the room.
The only writing on it was "6.022 x 10^23".  It sat there all year.

The volume of the cube was that of 1 mole of an ideal gas at STP.

> A light-year, on the other hand, is a dimensional quantity. Whereas mole
> is dimensionless, light-year has dimensions of Length, and therefore the
> value depends on the units you measure in:
>
> 1 light-year:
>
> = 3.724697e+17 inches
> = 0.30660139 parsec
> = 9.4607305e+12 kilometres

Hold your hands out in front of you, palms facing towards each other,
one shoulder-width apart.  That distance is about one light-nanosecond.