.split() Qeustion

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Aug 16 00:17:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:28:46 +0100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Joshua Landau <joshua at landau.ws> wrote:
>> On 15 August 2013 16:43, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> A mole is as much a number (6e23) as the light year is a number
>>> (9.5e15).
>>
>> A mole is a number. A light year is a unit.
>
> A mole is an amount of something. Avogadro's Number is a number, which
> is what I was hinting at :)

Would you consider "a dozen" to be a number? Normally we use dozen only
in reference to a dozen of something, not as an abstract pure number, but
it's still a number in a way that "light-year" (or "mile", or "gram", or
"second") is not.

Mole is like dozen. Light-year is like mile. And Avagadro's Number is
like "twelve", only a bit bigger :-)

--
Steven