.split() Qeustion

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Aug 15 18:56:57 EDT 2013

Terry Reedy wrote:

>>> A mole is a number. A light year is a unit.
>>
>> A mole is an amount of something. Avogadro's Number is a number, which
>> is what I was hinting at :)
>
> The unit for 'mole' is 'ion', 'atom', or 'molecule', as appropriate for
> the 'something'. In other words, the units are the reacting input units
> and resulting output units in a particular chemical reaction.

To expand a little on that, the unit of "amount of something" is a "gram
mole", which is 6.2 **23 grams times the molecular (or atomic) weight.

My dad (research chemist) used to have to order supplies for his lab in
"ton moles", and he used some very small multipliers, since he usually
needed a kilogram or less in his lab.

--
DaveA