Getting a value that follows string.find()

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Aug 14 11:58:02 EDT 2013

In <40816fed-38d4-4baa-92cc-c80cd8febd82 at googlegroups.com> englishkevin110 at gmail.com writes:

> I know the title doesn't make much sense, but I didnt know how to explain my problem.

> Anywho, I've opened a page's source in URLLIB
> starturlsource = starturlopen.read()
> string.find(starturlsource, '<a href="/profile.php?id=')
> And I used string.find to find a specific area in the page's source.
> I want to store what comes after ?id= in a variable.
> Can someone help me with this?

starturlsource = starturlopen.read()

match_string = '<a href="/profile.php?id='

match_index = string.find(starturlsource, match_string)

if match_index != -1:
    url = starturlsource[match_index + len(match_string):]

else:
    print 'not found'

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears