python and displaying on 10 bit monitors

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Wed Aug 14 03:07:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 05:25:34 -0700, rlkling wrote:

> Or, asking another way, are there any python libraries that display images
> to 10 bit monitors as 10 bit images, and not scaled to 8 bit?

This should be possible using PyOpenGL and GLUT, with:

	glutInitDisplayString("red=10 green=10 blue=10")

That's based upon a quick look at:

	http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/10-Bit.pdf
	http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/TB-04701-001_v02_new.pdf

I don't have a 30-bpp monitor to test it with.

You may be able to do the same thing using e.g. QGLWidget or wxGLCanvas,
but I don't think that you can get 30-bpp with GDI, so you're limited to
solutions involving OpenGL (or DirectX, if you can figure out the
necessary pieces).