Introduction to my fellow Python Friends

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 12 00:37:12 EDT 2013

On 11Aug2013 13:47, Krishnan Shankar <i.am.songoku at gmail.com> wrote:
| 1. How to acknowledge a reply? Should i put a one to one mail or send it to
| the mailing list itself?

Generally, a personal acknowledgement email is not necessary; usually
one would reply to the list; by citing the previous message author
(as I have cited you, above), one acknowledges the help.

If the help was unusually generous or insightful, of course we
sometimes say "special thanks to Bill The Clever for pointing out
X or Y", or something like that. Feel free.

Again, unless there is special reason not to, reply to the list.
That way everyone benefits from your response, and any special
thanks you may have added is visible to all.

There are sometimes reasons to not reply to the list: wandering
well off topic - away from Python and Python-related things, or
discussing genuinely confidential stuff. If you take the whole
discussion off list, a note to the list that you've done so and why
may be appropriate.  Use your own judgement there.

| 2. How can i see or get a question asked by someone else? (So that i can
| reply for that with my best possible knowledge. I currently get as Python
| mail Digest)

Personally, I strongly recomment getting the list as individual
messages. If the volume bothers you, I suggested having your mail
program file the list messages to a special folder. That keeps them
out of your inbox and lets you visit that folder for some one-on-one
Python time.

Having the messages distinct has several advantages: you can easily
reply to a specific message and also your mailer can group all the
messages of a particular discussion together, making it far far
easier to follow discussions and conversely to delete or archive
the uninteresting discussions.

| 3. How can i use this mailing list in the best possible way?
| I hope to have a wonderful time with Python here. I hope i am not wasting
| your time. Sorry for the inconvenience if i am.

Not at all.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself. - Aragorn son of Arathorn