Introduction to my fellow Python Friends

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 05:31:33 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Krishnan Shankar
<i.am.songoku at gmail.com> wrote:
> I figured out that the best way is to talk to the experts and so i
> subscribed to this mailing list. It will be cool if anybody can help me out
> by telling the etiquette of this mailing list, like

Hi! Welcome!

> 1. How to acknowledge a reply? Should i put a one to one mail or send it to
> the mailing list itself?

Normally, you needn't simply "acknowledge" a reply; but if you're
responding in a way that will be beneficial to the list, you would
want to send to the list.

> 2. How can i see or get a question asked by someone else? (So that i can
> reply for that with my best possible knowledge. I currently get as Python
> mail Digest)

Now that you're subscribed, you should be able to read every message
sent to the list (modulo spam filtering, but ignore that). Other
threads should come up just fine

> 3. How can i use this mailing list in the best possible way?

First and foremost, don't use Google Groups :) But you're already doing that.

Quote people's text with angle-bracket markers (see my quoting of your
text), and put your responses underneath (called "bottom-posting" -
the opposite is "top-posting" and is not preferred). Trim quoted text
to just what you need for context, rather than quoting an entire
conversation.

Always cite people accurately; normally your mail client will handle
that for you, but when you trim, sometimes you'll need to be careful
of that.

Don't accidentally cross-post from savoynet at bridgewater.edu, like I've
been known to do *whistles innocently*

Be courteous, even if someone flames you :) And post real content,
with real meaning. Even if you ignore all else, do this and you'll be
valuable to the community, and people will forgive (to an extent!)
failures in the other areas.

ChrisA