The meaning of "doubt", was Re: Python Basic Doubt

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Aug 10 14:36:52 EDT 2013

Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 8/10/2013 11:33 AM, Krishnan Shankar wrote:
>> Hi Fellow Python Friends,
>>
>> I am new to Python and recently subscribed to the mailing list.I have a
>> doubt regarding the basics of Python. Please help me in understanding
>> the below concept.
>>
>> So doubt is on variables and their contained value.
>
> It would be better English to say that you have a 'question' or even
> 'confusion', rather than a 'doubt'. From your subject line, I got the
> impression that you doubted that you should learn or use Python. That
> clearly is not what you meant.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English

"""
doubt = question or query; e.g. one would say, 'I have a doubt' when one
wishes to ask a question.
"""

I'd say if Brits can cope (hard as it may be) with the American variant of
the language, and native speakers can live with the broken English used to
communicate in the rest of the world there is ample room for an Indian
flavo(u)r now and then...