PEP 450 Adding a statistics module to Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 11 09:33:53 EDT 2013

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 06:50:36 -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>> See the Rationale of PEP 450 for more reasons why “install NumPy” is
>> not a feasible solution for many use cases, and why having ‘statistics’
>> as a pure-Python, standard-library package is desirable.
>
> I read that before posting but am not sure I agree. I don't see the
> screaming need for this package.  Why can't it continue to live on PyPI,
> where, once again, it is available as "pip install ..."?

The same could be said about any module, really. And indeed, some
languages have that philosophy, they provide no libraries to speak of, if
you want anything you have to either write it yourself or get it from
somebody else.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able, or allowed, to run "pip
install" to get additional, non-standard packages. E.g. in corporate
environments. But I've already said that in the PEP.

--
Steven