right adjusted strings containing umlauts

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Aug 28 06:23:12 EDT 2013

On 28/8/2013 04:01, Kurt Mueller wrote:

> Because I cannot switch to Python 3 for now my life is not so easy:-)
>
> For some text manipulation tasks I need a template to split lines
> from stdin into a list of strings the way shlex.split() does it.
> The encoding of the input can vary.
> For further processing in Python I need the list of strings to be in unicode.

According to:
   http://docs.python.org/2/library/shlex.html

"""Prior to Python 2.7.3, this module did not support Unicode
input"""

I take that to mean that if you upgrade to Python 2.7.3, 2.7.4, or
2.7.5, you'll have Unicode support.

Presumably that would mean you could decode the string before calling
shlex.split().

--
DaveA