Paramiko Help. Execute command to Interactive Shell which is opened by SSHClient()

sagar varule sagar.varule at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 03:20:25 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Im using Paramiko for my SSH automation. Im using method that is shown in demo_simple.py example which comes with Paramiko. Below is code from demo_simple.py.

As you can make out, below code opens SSH connection and opens Interactie Shell, and then wait for the command from user.
I want to submit the command to this Interactive Shell using code.

try:
    client = paramiko.SSHClient()
    client.load_system_host_keys()
    client.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.WarningPolicy())
    print '*** Connecting...'
    client.connect(hostname, port, username, password)
    chan = client.invoke_shell()
    print repr(client.get_transport())
    print '*** Here we go!'
    print
    interactive.interactive_shell(chan)
    chan.close()
    client.close()

Well Another approach I tried is instead of opening interactive_shell, directly issue command using;

 stdin, stdout, stderr = client.exec_command(bv_cmd)
            for line in stderr.readlines():
                print line
            for line in stdout.readlines():
                print line
But problem here is client.exec_command(bv_cmd) waits for command to execute completely and then it returns to stdout,stderr. And I want to see the ouput from the command during its execution. Because my command takes long time for execution.

Big Picture in My Mind: Big Picture I that want to achieve is, Opening different SSH connection to different host, and it will issue commands to all host, wait for execution. All execution should happen parallel.(just wanted to share my thought, and wanted to hear opinions from you all. Is this possible??). I am not big programmer, just 2 years experience with asp.net C# 2.0 so i would appreciate if discussion happens in simple english.