Is it possible to make a unittest decorator to rename a method from "x" to "testx?"

adam.preble at gmail.com adam.preble at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 02:32:44 EDT 2013

We were coming into Python's unittest module from backgrounds in nunit, where they use a decorate to identify tests.  So I was hoping to avoid the convention of prepending "test" to the TestClass methods that are to be actually run.  I'm sure this comes up all the time, but I mean not to have to do:

class Test(unittest.TestCase):
    def testBlablabla(self):
        self.assertEqual(True, True)

But instead:
class Test(unittest.TestCase):
    @test
    def Blablabla(self):
        self.assertEqual(True, True)

This is admittedly a petty thing.  I have just about given up trying to actually deploy a decorator, but I haven't necessarily given up on trying to do it for the sake of knowing if it's possible.

Superficially, you'd think changing a function's __name__ should do the trick, but it looks like test discovery happens without looking at the transformed function.  I tried a decorator like this:

def prepend_test(func):
    print "running prepend_test"
    func.__name__ = "test" + func.__name__

    def decorator(*args, **kwargs):
        return func(args, kwargs)

    return decorator

When running unit tests, I'll see "running prepend_test" show up, but a dir on the class being tested doesn't show a renamed function.  I assume it only works with instances.  Are there any other tricks I could consider?