Newbie: static typing?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:38:27 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> I guess this is a long way of saying instrument your software so that it can
> be tested and or give you enough information about the internal state. This
> is sort of like building a specialized integrated circuit. You need to
> design it so it can be tested/observed after it's been embedded in epoxy and
> not just count on being able to probe the wafer in the lab.

In software, that's easy: just have a way to execute arbitrary code in
the context of the running server. A *hugely* beneficial debugging
tool. Of course, it's also a security concern, so you have to put a
good password [1] on it, or have some other system for guaranteeing
that untrusted persons can't execute arbitrary code.

ChrisA

[1] By which I mean http://xkcd.com/936/ compliant.