Removing matching items from a list?

kevin4fong at gmail.com kevin4fong at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:33:09 EDT 2013

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 5:25:16 PM UTC-7, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:06:05 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:
>

> > In article <51fd8635$0$30000$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
>
> >  Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>

> >> 2) Then go through those initial letters, and pick out the ones equal
>
> >> to 4 (or should that be "four or more"?).
>

> > Assuming my earlier hunch is correct about these being cards in a deck,
>
> > and the a's being aces, I would hope it's not "four or more".  See my
>
> > earlier comment about saloons and gunshot wounds.
>

> There are card games that involve more than four suits, or more than one
>
> pack. In principle, if you draw ten cards from an unknown number of
>
> packs, you could draw ten Aces, or even ten Aces of the same suit. Think
>
> of playing blackjack with ten packs shuffled together.
>

> Cripple Mr Onion, for example, uses hands of ten cards drawn from eight
>
> suits:
>

> http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Cripple_Mr_Onion
>

> (yes, it's a real game, based on a fictional game)
>

> The Indian Ganjifa deck uses ten "houses" (decks) of 12 cards each.
>

> Pinochle uses the standard four Western suits, but uses two copies of
>
> each card 9, 10, J, Q, K, A, for 48 cards in total. Sometimes people
>
> combine two pinochle decks for larger games, so with a double deck all
>
> ten cards could be Aces.
>

> In the 1930s, there was a fad for playing Bridge with a fifth suit,
>
> coloured green, called Royals, Leaves, Eagles or Rooks depending on the
>
> manufacturer.
>

> There are five- and six-suit versions of poker, with at least two still
>
> commercially available: the five-suit Stardeck pack (which adds Stars),
>
> and the six-suit Empire deck (which adds red Crowns and black Anchors).
>

> There is an eight-suit Euchre pack that adds red Moons, black Stars, red
>
> four-leaf Clovers and black Tears to the standard deck.
>

> --
>
> Steven

Thank you for the advice. It was really helpful with the descriptions and steps.

Would you also happen to know how I could set up a list that keeps track of the removed sets?

Let's say there's 4 a's taken out. The list would show:

['a']

But if there was also 4 j's in addition to the 4 a's, it would go:

and so forth.