Correct Way to Write in Python

Sagar Varule punk.sagar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 12:07:03 EDT 2013

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:34:10 PM UTC+5:30, Peter Otten wrote:
> Sagar Varule wrote:
>

> > On Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:17:49 PM UTC+5:30, Peter Otten wrote:
>
> >> punk.sagar at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Thanks a lot Peter. I appreciate your Help. You mentioned that C# code
>
> > above is not good. If you can point me why it is not good, would help me
>
> > learn new approaches as this type of Code I use to see long back(when i
>
> > was fresher). There may be better approaches or concepts i am not aware
>
> > of. If you can point me in that direction it would be gr8.
>

> As I said, I don't know C#  -- but I already tried to fix some of the
>
> potential issues in my code snippet.
>

> - A list is not the best choice to store the customers -- there should be a
>
> lookup by some kind of ID (I picked the name to keep it simple)
>
> - Is it really necessary to expose that container in a language that
>
> provides "privacy"?
>
> - Is there ever a customer without name/ID? I'd say no, so these should be
>
> passed as constructor arguments.
>
> - Renaming a customer is a delicate process, you may need to keep track of
>
> the old name, the reason for the name, update your database etc., so I
>
> wouldn't allow setting the attribute and instead add a method
>

> Bank.rename_customer(...)
>

> or
>

> Bank.customers.rename_customer(...)
>

> Asking to translate code might make sense if you are a wizzard in the
>
> "other" language and want to see how a particular construct is written
>
> idomatically in Python, but to rewrite very basic C# code in Python is a bit
>
> like trying to learn a natural language by replacing one word after another
>
> in a text with the word in the new language that you looked up in a dict.
>
> The result tends to be underwhelming.
>

> I recommend that you read the tutorial and then try to solve a simple task
>
> in Python. Whenever you run into a problem you can come here for help.
>
> Because there's a real problem behind your code there will be different ways
>
> to solve it in Python, and you'll learn much more about the possibilites
>
> Python has to offer while your code gradually becomes more idiomatic.

Thanks Peter for helping me out,
Your Questions and suggestions are thoughts provoking and will help me every time I write a new Class. I will keep your suggestions. I am happy and amazed that Im getting help from strangers, But I got none when I approached programmers in my office....Thanks a Lot...!!!!!