PEP8 revised: max line lengths

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 10:18:29 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <d2e561f1-f5ba-4242-941d-6989abd1a482 at googlegroups.com>,
>  wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have always found, computer scientists are funny scientists.
>
> I have always found that sciences which contain the word "science" in
> their name tend to not be very scientific.
>
> Biology, Chemistry, Physics, those are real sciences.  Computer Science,
> Social Science, Political Science, not so much.

Right. We use the scientific method only in our worst work, like
poking at a black-box system to try to reverse compile it. Our work
generally involves examining a problem and figuring out which set of
tools will best solve it, which is more of an engineering thing.
("Build a bridge. Your chasm is X meters across, your bridge must
support Y kg of vehicles traversing it, the terrain is unsuited to
pylons, and you must not exceed Z meters of height above the road
surface.") And programmers, like engineers, have to deal with the
possibility (or certainty) of idiots using their products. This is not
a pure science by any means.

ChrisA