Does Python 'enable' poke and hope programming?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Aug 1 15:58:28 EDT 2013

CM wrote:

  <snip>
> what now strikes me as a Very Bad Habit, which is "poke and hope"
>  (trial and error) programming (of several names this page provided, I kind of like that one):

I recall when a "compile" took up to two days, before we got the punched
paper tape to begin testing.  If we wanted to "poke", it was done in
hex.

Once we got a local assembler/linker up and working, and
(incremental) turnarounds were under 5 minutes, we thought we were in
heaven.  But the discipline of having to think it through was very good
for us, in the long run.

--
DaveA