Editing tabular data

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 2 02:35:53 EDT 2013

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I really love Emacs, however... […]
>
> This is clearly a case where choosing the proper tool is important. I
> agree that using a spreadsheet to edit a 3x5 CSV file is likely
> overkill (might just as well use Notepad or TextEdit), but tabular
> data are tabular data, no matter how they might be delimited, and if
> there are many of those little data critters, there are better tools
> than a text editor (or Python IDE) for maintaining them.

It seems an obvious thing for powerful text editors like Emacs and Vim
to have a third-party mode for editing CSV data with a tabular
interface.

Indeed, such modes exist; one that I found immediately for Emacs is
<URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/csv-mode.el>. Has anyone got a good
Emacs mode for editing CSV data as a table and saving it back to CSV
data?

--
 \          “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without |
  `\      having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it |