Unexpected results comparing float to Fraction

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 05:44:12 EDT 2013

On 1 August 2013 07:32, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> I know this, and that's not what surprised me. What surprised me was that
>> Fraction converts the float to a fraction, then compares. It surprises me
>> because in other operations, Fractions down-cast to float.
>>
>> Adding a float to a Fraction converts the Fraction to the nearest float,
>> then adds:
>>
>> py> 1/3 + Fraction(1, 3)
>> 0.6666666666666666
>
> Hmm. This is the one that surprises me. That would be like the
> addition of a float and an int resulting in an int (at least in C; in
> Python, where floats have limited range and ints have arbitrary
> precision, the matter's not quite so clear-cut). Perhaps this needs to
> be changed?

The Python numeric tower is here:
http://docs.python.org/3/library/numbers.html#module-numbers

Essentially it says that
    Integral < Rational < Real < Complex
and that numeric coercions in mixed type arithmetic should go from
left to right which makes sense mathematically in terms of the
subset/superset relationships between the numeric fields.

When you recast this in terms of Python's builtin/stdlib types it becomes
    int < Fraction < {float, Decimal} < complex
and taking account of boundedness and imprecision we find that the
only subset/superset relationships that are actually valid are
    int < Fraction
and
    float < complex
In fact Fraction is a superset of both float and Decimal (ignoring
inf/nan/-0 etc.). int is not a subset of float, Decimal or complex.
float is a superset of none of the types. Decimal is a superset of
float but the tower places them on the same level.

The real dividing line between {int, Fraction} and {float, Decimal,
complex} is about (in)exactness. The numeric tower ensures the
property that inexactness is contagious which I think is a good thing.
This is not explicitly documented anywhere. PEP 3141 makes a dangling
reference to an Exact ABC as a superclass of Rational but this is
unimplemented anywhere AFAICT:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3141/

The reason contagious inexactness is a good thing is the same as
having contagious quite NaNs. It makes it possible to rule out inexact
computations playing a role in the final computed result. In my
Rationals in computation. I have always considered this to be
something that I wanted to avoid and I'm glad that contagious
inexactness helps me to avoid mixing floats into exact computations.

Oscar