how to package embedded python?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 11:57:55 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:47:19 AM UTC-4, David M. Cotter wrote:
> okay, well that might turn out to be useful, except i don't quite know how to use it, and there are no "from scratch" instructions.
>

> i managed to download "py2exe-0.6.9.zip" and unzip it, but how does one "install" this package?  (yes, still a newb at that)

What's your OS?  For Windows there is an exe that installs it.  Did you download that?

Or you could, in the command line, do:

cd c:\some_folder\the_py2exe_folder
python setup.py install

(The Python site has a huge page of details on that route. http://docs.python.org/2/install/)

Or you could probably get away with just moving the py2exe folder to
Python27\site-packages (or whatever Python you have)

Or you could first install pip (recommended!) and then just:
pip install py2exe
(http://dubroy.com/blog/so-you-want-to-install-a-python-package)

> then, once installed, how do i say "include the entire world" instead of just "mymodule" ?  cuz the point of embedding python on my app is that the end-user can run any script at all, not just one module.

I don't know.  As I understand it, py2exe will pull whatever is needed in Python to run your module.  If your module requires all of Python, I guess that will work.  I think regardless of the module, even if it is a "Hello, World" program, py2exe has to include the Python interpreter.

Unfortunately, and surprisingly, the py2exe site is still down.  Odd.  If it returns, that should help.  There is also a py2exe users mailing list that you could find by Googling for it.

In terms of