shmid = shmget(SHM_KEY, SHM_SIZE, 0o666) - syntax error.

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Apr 30 11:58:33 EDT 2013

On 04/30/2013 11:49 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> On 04/30/2013 11:27 AM, tromeo at mdlogix.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Please help me to debug
>>>
>>> -------
>>> shmid = shmget(SHM_KEY, SHM_SIZE, 0o666)
>>>                                                                      ^
>>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>

>> 0o666 is indeed a syntax error.  What is that value supposed to be?  If it's
>> intended to be an int that's equal to octal 666, just use 438
>
> Without checking docs, I would guess that to be Unix file permissions,
> which make most sense in octal.

So put the octal description in the comment.  I think the Python 2.x
syntax for octal is a travesty.  And of course it's non-portable to
Python 3.  I would not intentionally leave 0666 in my source code,
unless there was some other overriding reason for it.  And then I'd
surround it with snide remarks.

--
DaveA