TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 11:40:48 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM,  <tunacubes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've checked out what fileinput.input() is doing here (ought to have
>>
>> done that earlier, sorry!) and I now understand this block of code
>>
>> more. You're replacing that word _in the file, on disk_, and then
>>
>> making the inverse replacement. This strikes me as dangerous; if
>>
>> anything happens to your process in the middle, the file will be
>>
>> damaged on disk. I would STRONGLY recommend rewriting this to use some
>>
>> other file - for instance, a temporary file. I haven't looked into the
>>
>> details, as I haven't actually done this lately in Python, but you
>>
>> should be able to use tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile(delete=False) [1],
>>
>> write to it, make it executable, run it, and unlink it. That way,
>>
>> you're creating a temporary file to run, not running the original.
>>
>> This is semantically different from your code, but I think it'd be a
>>
>> lot safer.
>
> Thank you, Chris! I got it working and am going to take your advice on the tempfile idea. I actually ran into the problem you were referring to, and kept the .ahk files backed up elsewhere for when this situation arose. I appreciate the help!

Awesome!

Hey, you want to know an easy way to show your appreciation for the
people who answer your questions? It's really simple:

Step 1: Don't use Google Groups to post.
Step 2: Profit!

Have a look at the quoted text in your responses. See how it's
double-spaced and really obnoxious? That's not your fault, it's
because Google Groups is buggy. There are plenty of other ways to read
and post; I personally have subscribed to the mailing list and read it
using Gmail, and there are a variety of other ways too. If you _must_
use Google Groups, check out this page for some recommendations on how
to not offend people.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython

There are a number of non-G-rated terms going around that fairly
accurately describe what Google Groups posts look like, but since I
prefer milder language, I'll just repeat the word "obnoxious", as it
carries all the meaning I need.

ChrisA