Quesion about running a exe file in Python(Not enough memory)

yuyaxuan0 at gmail.com yuyaxuan0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 17:18:58 EDT 2013

Hey guys,

I have a python script that will call an external exe file. Code is kind of like this:

import sys
import os
from helper_functions import strContains

if (len(sys.argv) != 4):
    print('Usage of script: export_mirax_data <pathToSourceMiraxData> <pathToResultData> <tileSize>')
else:
    print('Script to export mirax data')
    print('---------------------------')

    # default parameters for exporting
    zoomLevel = 0         # 0 (original) - 9 (whole slide on one image)
    tileHeight = 2048     # has to be a multiple of 256
    tileWidth = 2048      # has to be a multiple of 256
    fileFormat = "png"    # jpg, png and bmp are allowed
    mapFileFormat = "png" # xml, png and bmp are allowed

    # implicitly needed parameters
    MiraxSlideExporter = "MrxSlideExport.exe"

    slicePath = sys.argv[1]
    pathToResultData = sys.argv[2]
    tileHeight = sys.argv[3]
    tileWidth = sys.argv[3]

    # slices = os.listdir(pathToSourceMiraxData)

    # sys.argv[1]
    # sys.argv[2]

    # create command-line for system-call of mirax-slide-exporter
    # -e exports the slide
    # -i saves slide information in outputfolder
    # -a optional
    # -n only tiles which contain information are exported
    # -s + pathToSourceMiraxData + \
    cmdForExportingSlicesToTiles = \
    MiraxSlideExporter + \
    " -i " + \
    " -e " + \
    " -z " + str(zoomLevel) + \
    " -t " + str(tileHeight) + " " + str(tileWidth) + \
    " -f " + str(fileFormat) + \
    " -m " + str(mapFileFormat) + \
    " "

    #cmd = "D:\\programs\\MIRAX_SlideAC_SDK\\Bin\\MrxSlideExport.exe -s D:\\fit\\projects\\bayer\\KidneyLiver\\MiraxScanner\\Slides\\L10 -e -o D:\\fit\\projects\\bayer\\KidneyLiver\\MiraxScanner\\Output\\L10 -z 5 -f png"
    #os.system(cmd)
    #msg = os.popen(cmd, mode='r', buffering=-1) # does not work
    #print(msg)

    # run through slices in given source-path

    cmd = cmdForExportingSlicesToTiles + " -s " + slicePath + " -o " + pathToResultData
    print(cmd)
    os.system(cmd)

So the problem is that is says it doesn't have sufficient memory.

The weired thing is that if I just ran the exe file directly in cmd console, it's working without any memory problem. I am wondering whether if it's some kind of python issue limits the memory that we can use??