Python platform/framework for new RESTful web app

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 08:18:45 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Eric Frederich
<eric.frederich at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I wanted to create a new web application (RESTful) today with Python what
> are my options given the following requirements.
>
> * Google Account authentication
> * Facebook authentication
> * Managed hosting (like Google App Engine or Heroku) but with the ability to
> be self-hosted later down the road.

Plenty of combinations here.

> I am familiar with Django (well I was a 3 years ago).
> I have played a little with web.py and like the ideas there.

3 years is a long time, and a lot of stuff probably changed.  I
personally like Django and Flask, other people may suggest Pyramid.

> I like the idea of using something like GAE but don't want to be locked in.

So go with Heroku.  GAE has many GAE-specific things, while on Heroku
everything is standard and you can go self-hosted easily (just get a
DB dump and a dump of your files).

> Is Django the answer?

Maybe.  It depends on the size of your app and if you like Django.
It’s subject to personal opinion.

> I think you can run Django on GAE (and obviously you can self-host it).

Yes, it works on GAE and Heroku just fine.

> I see there is a Django REST framework.  Is this a good framework?
> Are there good Google and Facebook authentication extensions?

That’s, again, subject to personal opinion, and I, for one, haven’t used any.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post