how to: multiplayer game connecting to central server effectively?

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Apr 24 17:48:39 EDT 2013

In <c6c26882-ec2e-41f9-a4c3-d403976c7729 at googlegroups.com> webmaster at terradon.nl writes:

> i have tried and accompished an urllib connection, with get and post
> variabels, but that will be polling, with all the http-overhead for every
> poll. I think this is also to slow and no "real" updating of the game status.

Http can still work, depending on what kind of game it is.  For example
a game where only the current player can make decisions and the other
players just sit and watch (like Risk), or a game where each player submits
a move and the server applies the game rules to resolve the outcome (like
Rock-Scissors-Paper).

But a truly interactive game would probably require something more, like
an active socket connection.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears