Weird python behavior

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 02:25:23 EDT 2013

On Apr 26, 11:04 am, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
> Forafo San <ppv.g... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, lesson learned: Take care not to have module names that conflict with python's built ins. Sorry for being so obtuse.
>
> You don't have to apologize.  We've all been bitten by this at least once.

Yes…
When it comes to keywords it is reasonable to expect the programmer to
know all the keywords and if he uses one for a function/variable the
error will be immediate.

When it comes to modules it is less reasonable to expect the
programmer to know all available modules.
To present these kind of errors, Erlang has a concept of sticky
modules -- those that come from the system -- for which special
efforts need to be made to 'unstick' them if one wants them
overridden.  This is helpful because the default which is to raise an
error, is in most cases a more sound option than to silently override
a builtin.