kbhit/getch python equivalent

alb alessandro.basili at cern.ch
Mon Apr 22 09:34:02 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a kbhit/getch equivalent in python in order to be able
to stop my inner loop in a controlled way (communication with external
hardware is involved and breaking it abruptly may cause unwanted errors
on the protocol).

I'm programming on *nix systems, no need to be portable on Windows. I've
seen the msvcrt module, but it looks like is for Windows only.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Al