Selenium Webdriver + Python (How to get started ??)

arif7d.auto at gmail.com arif7d.auto at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:24:40 EDT 2013

Note that:- I have some experience of using Selenium IDE and Webdriver (Java). but no prior experience of Python.

Now there is a project for which I will need to work with webdriver + Python.

So far I have done following steps..

Install JDK
Setup Eclipse
download & Installed Python v3.3.1
Download & Installed Pydev (for Eclipse) also configured
download & installed (Distribute + PIP) http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pip
Installed Selenium using command prompt

Running following commands from windows 7 command prompt, successfully opens firefox browser

python
>>>from selenium import webdriver
>>>webdriver.Firefox()

ISSUE is that, I do not know exact steps of creating a python webdriver test project.

I create new Pydev project with a "src" folder and also used sample python code from internet but selenium classes cannot be recognized. I have tried various approaches to import libraries but none seems to work. Any one can guide me what i need to do step by step to successfully run a simple test via python webdriver!! (eclipse pydev)

Thank you.