List Count

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Mon Apr 22 21:47:52 EDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 05:32 PM, Blind Anagram wrote:
> On 22/04/2013 22:03, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

>>> If I understand correctly, you have a list of roughly a billion
>>> True/False values indicating which integers are prime and which are
>>> not. You would like to discover how many prime numbers there are
>>> between two numbers a and b. You currently do this by counting the
>>> number of True values in your list between the indices a and b.
>>>
>>> If my description is correct then I would definitely consider using a
>>> different algorithmic approach. The density of primes from 1 to 1
>>> billlion is about 5%. Storing the prime numbers themselves in a sorted
>>> list would save memory and allow a potentially more efficient way of
>>> counting the number of primes within some interval.
>>
>> In fact it is probably quicker if you don't mind using all that memory
>> to just store the cumulative sum of your prime True/False indicator
>> list. This would be the prime counting function pi(n). You can then
>> count the primes between a and b in constant time with pi[b] - pi[a].
>
> I did wonder whether, after creating the sieve, I should simply go
> through the list and replace the True values with a count.  This would
> certainly speed up the prime count function, which is where the issue
> arises.  I will try this and see what sort of performance trade-offs
> this involves.

By doing that replacement, you'd increase memory usage manyfold (maybe
3:1, I don't know).  As long as you're only using bools in the list, you
only have the list overhead to consider, because all the objects
involved are already cached (True and False exist only once each).  If
you have integers, you'll need a new object for each nonzero count.

--
DaveA