List Count

Blind Anagram blindanagram at nowhere.org
Mon Apr 22 12:38:01 EDT 2013

On 22/04/2013 17:06, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On 22 April 2013 16:50, Blind Anagram <blindanagram at nowhere.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be very easy to subclass list and add this functionality in
>>> cython if you decide that you do need a builtin method.
> [snip]
>>
>> But I was really wondering if there was a simple solution that worked
>> without people having to add libraries to their basic Python installations.
>
> There are simple solutions and some have already been listed. You are
> attempting to push your program to the limit of your hardware
> capabilities and it's natural that in a high-level language you'll
> often want special libraries for that.

Hi Oscar

Yes, but it is a tribute to Python that I can do this quite fast for
huge lists provided that I only count on the full list.

And, unless I have completely misunderstood Python internals, it would
probably be just as fast on a sub-sequence if I had a list.count(value,
limit) function (however, I admit that I could be wrong here since the
fact that count on lists does not offer this may mean that it is not as
easy to implement as it might seem).

> I don't know what your application is but I would say that my first
> port of call here would be to consider a different algorithmic
> approach. An obvious question would be about the sparsity of this data
> structure. How frequent are the values that you are trying to count?
> Would it make more sense to store a list of their indices?

Actually it is no more than a simple prime sieve implemented as a Python
class (and, yes, I realize that there are plenty of these around).

> If the problem needs to be solved the way that you are currently doing
> it and the available methods are not fast enough then you will need to
> consider additional libraries.
>>
>> As I have never tried building an extension with cython, I am inclined
>> to try this as a learning exercise if nothing else.
>
> I definitely recommend this over writing a C extension directly.

Thanks again - I will definitely look at this.

   Brian