Porting 2.x to 3.3: BaseHTTPServer

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Apr 21 10:01:14 EDT 2013

In article <mailman.879.1366551990.3114.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the current version of the code, I use BaseHTTPServer as the main
> structure of the request handler. 2to3 translated this into
> http.server, which seems to be the nearest direct translation. But is
> that the best way to go about making a simple HTTP server?

For most purposes, I would suggest one of the third-party web
frameworks.  For simple things, I'm partial to Tornado, but it's not the
only choice.  The advantage of these frameworks is they give you a lot
of boilerplate code that handles all the low-level protocol gunk and
lets you concentrate on writing your application logic.

My gut feeling is that nobody should ever be using BaseHTTPServer for
anything other than as a learning exercise (or as a base on which to
build other frameworks).  It's just too low level.  I haven't used the
3.x http.server, but http.server looks like much of the same.