django vs zope vs web2py

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 03:51:34 EDT 2013

On Apr 21, 11:18 am, Alok Singh Mahor <alokma... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry by mistake I sent incomplete mail here is my mail.
>
> Hi everyone,
> few months back I decided to adopt python for my all sort of work including web programming. and I have wasted long time deciding which to adopt out of django, zope and web2py.
> I am from php and drupal background. which framework would be better for me. I am open to learn anything, anything new. but I want to adopt best thing full of features and lot of plugins/extensions and easy to use and have better documentation and books etc.
>
> please suggest me so without wasting more time I can start learning
> thanks in advance :)

I am not the best person to advise on this area (hopefully others with
more python-for-web knowledge will speak up)
I see some implicit misconceptions/contradictions in your question so
just saying something…

Python is a general purpose programming language.
php has some (poor?) pretensions to that title.
Drupal cannot even pretend I guess.

Therefore when switching to something like python its important to
have high on your TODO list the need to grok what 'general purpose
programming language' means.
Many people use mega-frameworks like RoR, Django etc without really
knowing much of the underlying programming language.  This has some
consequences:
a. You function suboptimally, basically following the cookie-cutter
approach
b. When you have to switch out of Django into python (say) it can be
very unnerving and frustrating because you suddenly find you dont know
the 'ABC'

So the longer but more fruitful in the long-run approach is to
identify what are the general areas that web programming needs, study
these in isolation and then switch to a mega-framework like django.
Something like:

- templating with cheetah
- ORM with sqlalchemy connecting to some proper database
- web-serving with cherrypy (web.py?, bottle? flask?)

[I am not claiming that this list is complete or the examples are
good.  Of the above Ive only used cheetah]

After your hands are a little dirty with the plumbing, you can switch
to a mega-framework like django.

Also for someone who has mostly web experience, its good to put aside
web (for a while) and try out python for something completely un-web-
ish (a game? a sysadmin script?) to get a feel for 'general purpose
programming language'