Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 19 14:42:34 EDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 1:17 PM, lcrocker wrote:
> Am I mistaken in my belief that tkinter is a non-optional part of the
> Python language?

Yes. The PSF CPython Windows installer makes installation of
tcl/tk/tkinter optional. The build files will compile and build Python
without tkinter and without other modules that depend on other c
libraries (example, lzma). I believe one can build python 2 without
unicode, which is much more 'core' than the Tkinter module.

> I installed the "python3" package on Ubuntu, and
> tkinter is not included--it's an optional package "python3-tk" that
> has to be installed separately. I reported this as a bug as was
> summarily slapped down.

I hope it was done politely ;-).

Overall, Ubuntu is relatively advanced in moving to new versions. I
believe I read that they are hoping to make 3.3 the default Python as
soon as possible.