Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Apr 22 19:30:45 EDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:09:14 +0100, Rui Maciel wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> I think that if you are worrying about the overhead of the tkinter
>> bindings for Python, you're guilty of premature optimization.
>
> I'm not worried about that.  No one should be forced to install crap
> that they don't use or will ever need, no matter how great the average
> HD capacity is nowadays.

Nobody forces you to do anything. Python is open source, and the source
code is freely available. Feel free to hand-optimize your Python
installation, selecting carefully each and every module, class, and
function in the standard library so that only the ones you absolutely
know you will need to use are installed, using your godlike powers of
precognition to foresee exactly what you need in seventeen months from
now and what is "crap" that you will never need.

Good luck with that. I look forward to hearing about the results.

--
Steven