Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 03:33:54 EDT 2013

On 2013.04.23 00:49, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>  Obviously you cannot display an X window without
> X, well duh, but merely importing tkinter doesn't require an X display.
Importing it doesn't. Doing anything useful with it, however, does. Would you consider the engine an optional part of a car? After all, the
radio would still work and you can put things in the glove compartment.

> We just disagree on where to break the packages up.
We disagree on what a dependency is. I say a dependency is something required in order to have any functionality that is not defined as
optional or extra by the author(s). You say it's anything required in order to initialize, even if there is little to no actual
functionality. Perhaps you are fond of hunting down components to make something work, but most people would expect a packaging system to
automatically install whatever is required to make the software they want to use do what it is supposed to. Or perhaps you had a dummy
package in mind that would automatically pull in Tcl/Tk and X and whatever else is required to make tkinter draw things on a screen as a
convenience. Of course, that brings us back to the OP's problem...

Since Linux distros already include whatever third-party software they see fit as part of their base (or have the OS installer install
whatever the user specifies during installation), why not have desktop configurations include tkinter by default when installing?
--
CPython 3.3.1 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1