Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 00:34:00 EDT 2013

On Apr 22, 9:24 am, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013.04.21 22:57, Steven D'Aprano wrote:> It's only easy to install a package on Ubuntu if you know that you have
> > to, and can somehow work out the name of the package.
>
> I haven't worked with Ubuntu or apt-based packaging in ages, but isn't this kind of information in a description message or something
> (especially in a GUI frontend)?

Of course... If you know where to look. (I think that's Steven's point
in the 'you know that you have to')

For a noob getting the error
ImportError: No module named Tkinter

it may be that
- he has not installed tkinter
- he has misspelled tkinter
- he has misspelled the import statement (yeah then he'll get syntax
error or somesuch… being a noob he does not know)

I personally know that one can put 'python' in the search box in
synaptic and fish around.
The point is that the noob to python may be a noob to linux/apt also.