Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 00:10:24 EDT 2013

On Apr 22, 8:57 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:10:58 +0200, Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> > Am 19.04.2013 19:42, schrieb lcrocker:
> >> I understand that for something like a server distribution, but Ubuntu
> >> is a user-focused desktop distribution. It has a GUI, always. The
> >> purpose of a distro like that is to give users a good experience. If I
> >> install Python on Windows, I get to use Python. On Ubuntu, I don't, and
> >> I think that will confuse some users. I recently recommended Python to
> >> a friend who wants to start learning programming. Hurdles like this
> >> don't help someone like him.
>
> > It's _so_ easy to install an additional package on Ubuntu that that
> > really shouldn't be called a 'hurdle'. Using tkinter or any other GUI
> > toolkit is much more difficult for a beginner.
>
> It's only easy to install a package on Ubuntu if you know that you have
> to, and can somehow work out the name of the package.
>
> --
> Steven

Yes

There is some infrastructure in debian/ubuntu (not sure what/where/
how) which behaves something like so:
$peculiar_command
peculiar_command no found but exists in package FooBar

I believe that repackaged pythons (like debian's) should be able to
hook into this system and give better error messages than

ImportError: No module named Tkinter