Atoms, Identifiers, and Primaries

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 03:40:28 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 4:40 am, Mark Janssen <dreamingforw... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Circular just means recursive and recursion is the bedrock for
> > language-design.
>
> Rercursion the "bedrock" of language-design.  I don't think so.

Imperative programmers may be forgiven for not understanding how
pervasive the idea of recursion is in CS.
For example most C programmers dont understand that the standard
definition of linked list is not just recursive, its mutually
recursive:
pointer <points to> struct
struct <contains> pointer

I have a collection of some of the variety of the uses of recursion in
CS here:
http://blog.languager.org/2012/05/recursion-pervasive-in-cs.html

Or see the first line of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion_theory
recursion theory is by definition the same subject as computation
theory