Understanding Boolean Expressions

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 17 05:32:21 EDT 2013

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:47:49 +0300, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
>
> > Steven D'Aprano writes:
> >
> >> So paradoxically, that means that "x or y" counts as an and_test
> >> (obviously!) but also as an or_test, since every and_test also counts
> >> as an or_test. Here's some crappy ASCII art of a Venn diagram
> >
> > I think you mean to say that "x and y" counts as an and_test and also as
> > an or_test.
>
> You may very well be right, but I'll be damned if I go back and read
> through my post trying to work out what I intended to say instead of what
> I actually said!
>
> :-)

The quote above is sufficient context for one who knows that "x or y"
is not an and_test. I'm hoping that pointing this little thing out
will help some potentially confused reader of your otherwise excellent
explanation see more quickly that this is really just a harmless typo.
(Unless it's me who's confused :)

The quote appeared just before your ASCII art.