The node.js Community is Quietly Changing the Face of Open Source

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:42:02 EDT 2013

On 4/16/2013 12:02 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
> I came across this article which sums up some of the issues I have with
> modern programming languages. I've never really looked at Javascript for
> anything serious or Node itself but I found this article really
> informational.
>
> "The “Batteries included” philosophy of Python was definitely the right
> approach during the mid 90’s and one of the reasons that I loved Python
> so much; this was a time before modern package management, and before it
> was easy to find and install community-created libraries.  Nowadays

Python gets used in places like corporations and schools where one
cannot simply install stuff off the net, but must fill out a form asking
permission, or maybe not ask at all.

> though I think it’s counter-productive.  Developers in the community
> rarely want to bother trying to compete with the standard library, so
> people are less likely to try to write libraries that improve upon it."

Except that there is competition for many modules. That said, there are
old modules that probably would not be added today, and some the dev
would like to remove. (Some were for 3.0.)

> http://caines.ca/blog/programming/the-node-js-community-is-quietly-changing-the-face-of-open-source/

The irony is that the author goes on to say that the node.js community
'works' because they all use the same infrastructure battery: git and
git-hub ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy